Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Hymns of the Church – Savior, Lead Me, Lest I Stray – 7 May 2024, Anno Domini

King George VI - 3 September 1939

 

A

ND another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house.”   (Luke 9:61)

 

            The author of this hymn, Frank M. Davis (1839-1896), is a prolific hymn writer whose hymns predominantly echo the need to follow Christ in our earthly walk. He is also the author of All the Way My Savior Leads Me. The tune, as well as the hymn, are entitled, Savior, Lead me, lest I stray.

 

Savior Lead Me, Lest I Stray

 

Savior, lead me lest I stray,

Gently lead me all the way;

I am safe when by Thy side,

I would in Thy love abide.

Refrain:

Lead me, lead me, Savior, 

lead me, lest I stray;

Gently down the stream of time,

Lead me, Savior, all the way.

 

Thou the refuge of my soul,

When life’s stormy billows roll;

I am safe when by Thy side,

All my hopes on Thee rely.

            Refrain

 

Savior, lead me, then at last,

When the storm of life is past;

To the land of endless day,

Where all tears are wiped away.

            Refrain

 

 

1 Savior, lead me lest I stray, Gently lead me all the way; I am safe when by Thy side, I would in Thy love abide. Remember when we were mere toddlers – how we clung to the hand of our parents when walking on a dark way? As long as we held our father‘s hand, we felt safe – and we were! When we walk with Christ, there is no safer way under heaven. This line reminds me of a poem by Minnie Louise Haskins entitled, God Knows, quoted by King George VI in his 1939 Christmas broadcast to the British Empire:

 

And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year: "Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown".  And he replied:  "Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the Hand of God. That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way".

 

2 Thou the refuge of my soul, When life's stormy billows roll; I am safe when by Thy side, All my hopes on Thee rely. He is the sheltering Rock of the Wilderness Journey, and the refuge from the stormy seas of life. Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. When we are with Him, we are sure to be on the right Way. He is our Anchor of Hope that prevents our drifting against the shoals and stony breakers.

 

            3 Savior, lead me, then at last, When the storm of life is past; To the land of endless day, Where all tears are wiped away. If He leads us not THROUGH  the storms of life, He will not lead us afterwards, either. His leading through the fires of the enemy always leads to a wonderful victory and joy. The way may be treacherous, but the destination surpasses all imagination for grandeur. The sad memories of mournful events of the past will be erased, and the tears from our eyes shall be turned to tears of joy at His coming.

 

Refrain

Lead me, lead me, Savior,  lead me, lest I stray. Gently down the stream of time, Lead me, Savior, all the way. The Bible often offers repetitive counsel over and over again because repetition aids recall. Those things that God desires to emphasize, He repeats. So does the refrain of this hymn. He leads the straight and narrow way, and we will remain thereon if we follow Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment